Edmund Bell signs The Climate Pledge
In September 2019, Amazon and Global Optimism co-founded The Climate Pledge (TCP) – this is a commitment to reach net-zero carbon by 2040 and meet The Paris Agreement 10 years early.
As of September 2021, The Climate Pledge has 201 signatories across 26 industries and 21 countries – including companies such as Amazon, Mercedes Benz, Microsoft, IBM, Unilever and more.
We are pleased to announce that Edmund Bell has joined these companies and become one of the latest signatories to join the Pledge!
What does it mean to join The Climate Pledge?
The Climate Pledge calls on signatories to be net zero carbon across their businesses by 2040. Companies that sign the pledge commit to three principal areas of action:
- Measure and report greenhouse gas emissions on a regular basis.
- Implement decarbonization strategies in line with the Paris Agreement through real business changes and innovations, including efficiency improvements, renewable energy, materials reductions, and other carbon emission elimination strategies.
- Neutralize any remaining emissions with additional, quantifiable, real, permanent, and socially beneficial offsets to achieve net zero annual carbon emissions by 2040.
Group CEO John Atherton comments:
“Being part of The Climate Pledge further reinforces Edmund Bell’s commitment to sustainability and taking action to reduce our effects on the environment; working together to crack the climate crisis and solve the challenges of decarbonizing our economy”.
Edmund Bell aims to be net-zero carbon by 2040 and develop new products that contain recycled content.
John continues: “We are working hard to ensure that we are doing everything we can across new product development and other business processes, to reach our sustainability and environmental goals”.
The goals that we have currently achieved are:
- Over 80% of our product range is now recyclable and they are aiming to increase this number year on year.
- Rather than be sent to landfill, fabric waste is recycled ♻️ and remade into other products used within the flooring industry.
- We now have 54 products certified to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®. If a textile article carries the STANDARD 100 label, you can be certain that every component has been tested for harmful substances and that the article therefore is harmless in human ecological terms – this is applicable to all processing steps from yarn to finished product.
- In 2020, we locally coated 650,000 meters of fabric, avoiding transportation of over 350 tonnes of coating weight on their carbon footprint. 350 tonnes – that’s approximately 3 blue whales, 4.5 space shuttles, 50 elephants, 700 grand pianos, or 45,000 bowling balls”.
“Although we are proud of what we have achieved until now we recognise that we still have a long way to go to achieve our goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2040. With hard work and our dedicated “green Team” in place within the business we are looking forward to the challenges ahead”.
To find out more and follow our journey to become carbon neutral by 2040 visit: www.ebtozero.com
You can find out more about The Climate Pledge: www.theclimatepledge.com
🌱 🌍 ♻️